HVAC systems account for the majority of building operating costs. By concentrating on the performance of these systems, retrocommissioning can target the “low-hanging fruit” that can make the RetroCx process well worth the investment.
Common HVAC system problems identified during the initial stages of RetroCx include:
- Cooling/heating running at the same time
- Schedules, optimum start and night setback being ignored
- Loose fan belts
- Leaking valves
- Balancing valves that are not functioning properly
- Thermostats and sensors that are out of calibration
- Improper setpoints
- Variable-air-volume boxes that are not working properly
- Economizer sequences that are not working as designed
- Controls sequences that are functioning incorrectly
- Manual overrides of automated controls
Addressing these problems can quickly reduce a building’s energy use.
Read the rest of this article here.